photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Farmhouse Style, Two Ways

{A Stunning Sonoma Ranch by Walker-Warner Architects}

I believe that travel is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. Visiting new destinations and old favorites is a great way to get a change of scenery, to broaden our horizons, and to find inspiration. I am fortunate that my career allows me to travel often as it is something I need and crave tremendously. Aside from spending time with my husband, revisiting one of my favorite regions in the country, and imbibing delicious food and drink, one of the things I am most looking forward to as we embark on our trip to Napa this week is the architecture. I seem to find inspiration everywhere I turn in Napa. I love the style sensibility and lifestyle there and am more than ready to soak it all up. I love farmhouse style architecture, especially when its done in a classic, clean-lined way like what you find in Northern California by the likes of such great architects as Howard Backen. It feels like classic Americana and celebrates indoor/outdoor living. What's not to love? 

Today, I am taking a look at Farmhouse Style done two ways-- classic and modern. Technically, neither of these homes are in Napa, but they truly capture the essence of chic farmhouse style.



The first home is a classic farmhouse and ranch in Sonoma, California by Walker-Warner Architects. Located amongst the rolling hills of a vineyard and nestled between majestic oak trees, the house actually has clean, contemporary bones. For some, the thought of a classic farmhouse may evoke images of roosters, wicker furniture, and lots of red and yellow fabrics. Conversely, the white facade, metal roof, sliding doors that bring the outdoors in, and crisp, neutral palette are the very definition of "Classic California Farmhouse Style" in my eyes. 

{Sliding Doors, A Crisp White Exterior, and Slate Patio-- Classic Farmhouse Style!}
{A Beautiful Courtyard}

{I really love this shot. It captures the splendid California light I'm always talking about rather beautifully. The beamed ceiling and white and ivory palette are perfection in this setting. I tend to gravitate towards color, but there is something to be said about the restraint used here.}

{I love that the dining room opens onto an outdoor dining area. So perfect for California living!}
{The Outdoor Dining Area}

{The kitchen is quintessential farmhouse chic. Can't you picture Ina Garten filming her show in this kitchen? I really think blonde woods are going to start making a big comeback. For the last ten years, most people have gravitated towards dark wood stains, but I really believe that lighter stains and finishes will be huge this year.}



This next house isn't in the California Wine Country, but in South Carolina. In spite of its location, it still captures the feeling of a modern California farmhouse. It reminds me so much of the Solage Resort in Calistoga where we will be staying. While the farmhouse essence is very similar, you'll notice that this home, designed by architect, Heather A. Wilson, is a bit more streamlined and definitely has a more modern feel. The interior is fabulous, but I really fell in love with the outdoor areas of this fantastic house.

{This living room has a much more modern feel and features much more color.}

{The kitchen has a slightly industrial vibe, but woodwork and casual style really capture the essence of a modern farmhouse.}

{Another View of the Kitchen-- Notice the Grey Cabinetry and Grey Wash on the Floor}

{Overall, the palette is still pretty neutral in this house, but there are unexpected pops of color that really bring the spaces to life, including this lovely turquoise lantern in the dining room.}

{It's too bad the house isn't in the California wine country because it would be right at home there with this fabulous wine room! I love that it is all clean and classic as opposed to being gimmicky with wrought iron and murals of grapes or the Tuscan countryside.}

{Now we are getting to the really good stuff! This was the first image I saw of this project while perusing Pinterest and I genuinely thought this house would have been smack dab in the middle of Napa. I love that the patio feels like a central courtyard becoming a focal point in the house. Imagine how great this area would be for entertaining?

{Looking Towards the Outdoor Bathroom}

{Another Pretty Turquoise Lantern}

{White Brick, Limestone Pavers, A Fireplace, Beamed Ceilings, and White Slipcovered Furniture Make for a Fabulous Outdoor Living Area}


Do you enjoy Farmhouse Style? Do you prefer the classic or modern variety?

{Images 1-8 via Walker-Warner Architects | Images 9-18 via Heather A. Wilson, Architect}

5 comments:

Sarah @ 702 Park Project said...

I love the classic farmhouse style. Where the modern farmhouse can feel a little cold (in my opinion), the traditional style brings in a sense of warmth and coziness, even with lofted ceilings and exposed beams.

Emma said...

Thank you for these beautiful photos! Winter weather is bearing down on us again here in Atlanta and these pictures help me remember that the frigid stuff won't last forever. It also helps me understand the different types of farmhouse.

Blonde woods are definitely coming back in the kitchen, not only as countertops but also as floors!

I think my personal preference is the modern style. I like how there are pops of color--especially my favorite blue--all over the place.

Mary said...

Beautiful home. I was wondering if you noticed in the last picture that the legs of the coffee table appear to be sitting in drinking glasses? Odd.

Colette (Coco) said...

Farmhouses are just so charming and cozy. Love the exposed beams, white-washed siding and those outdoor bathrooms.

Pinda said...

Love farmhouse style. The light in the first set of photos really is classic California. BTW, if you have time in your schedule, be sure to visit Cakebread Cellars, 8300 St. Helena Highway, Rutherford. They don't advertise a lot--they don't have to--but make some of the the best wine around. Great back story, too.