photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kansas City Trip: Day Two


Our second day in Kansas City was filled with lots of sightseeing and fun. We had lunch and then headed to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. The gardens and architecture are stunning and the museum is home to some fantastic collections. We were quite impressed. Again, I was so pleasantly surprised by Kansas City! The Bloch Building is a gorgeous space and houses the museum's collection of contemporary and abstract art.

Bertoia Chairs!

I thought this painting was so gorgeous and haunting.

Fabian and a horse he met along the way

The Nelson Atkins is home to a wonderful photography collection.

There was a great decorative arts exhibit, mostly filled with French and Italian antiques.

It is a shame that the lighting in this room was so dim as it made it pretty difficult to get a good picture. I thought this was incredible! A cloister from a 16th century monastery was brought over from France and is now part of the museum's European collection.

The Grounds at the Nelson-Atkins Museum

The gardens at the museum are filled with sculptures, including the famous shuttlecocks, which have become a K.C. landmark.

After the museum, we went over to Union Station.

It is another example of the beautiful architecture in this city.

I love this shot.

That evening, we went to a Kansas City Royals game. I am not into sports at all, so I could have just brought a book to read. :) It was a very cool experience, though. Their stadium is incredible and we were joined by several of Gissel's and Brian's friends, all of whom were super nice.

The place was packed! We made sure to get some Sheridan's custard right after the game. We enjoyed eating it while watching an awesome fireworks show that they have after every Friday night game.



My sweet sister-in-law, Gissel and brother-in-law, Brian at the Royals Game

8 comments:

. said...

Looks like a fun-filled weekend. Glad you enjoyed it!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Now that's a terrific way to spend a vacation day!

Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

I LOVE the shuttlecocks! I think the same artists did the broken button at UPenn and that has always delighted me, too.

By the way, I would like to volunteer to babysit Tate the next time you go away.

That was a subtle hint that I would like a Tate update!

KarenB said...

I'm glad you enjoyed my home town. It's a wonderful city and nobody really realizes it. Except those who live there. You never mentioned if you had BBQ. I hope so. That's essential. BTW, my first date with my husband was at The Plaza and also when he asked me to marry him, 30 years ago! It's a beautiful place.
Karen

Liza said...

Shuttlecocks are awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed KC! You really hit the good spots! It really is a surprising city (no bias of course, having grown up there). :)

We had some of our engagement pics taken on the grounds of the Nelson - no lie, if you get too close to the shuttlecocks a voice comes over a speaker instructing you to step away. Luckily we didn't get kicked out. :)

And glad you made it out to the "K" to see the Royals play - I love that they incorporated the fountains in the stadium to keep with the city's theme.

Thanks for sharing!!! Makes me want to get back for a visit.

Unknown said...

KC really is a fabulous city! I am excited to go back again. Next time, I want to hit up the interior desing haunts.

Jeannine, we missed Tate so much. He stayed with Fabian's parents who totally spoiled him! I think it was Parytown, USA over there because he has been a little unruly since we got him back (eating shoes, barking, pooping in the house). Today has been good so far, though. I am crossing my fingers that we can get back to normal soon! He already knows sit, down, and I have been working on wait with him for the past couple of days.

Courtney said...

It looks like you all did so much in three days and had a great trip!! I really love KC, although I have only spent a total of about 48 hours there (and on two separate trips.) I flew in and met E there for a day while he was training in Kansas before his deployment to Afghanistan. And when I was driving E's Jeep home from Kansas after he'd deployed, my mom flew into KC and met me there to make the rest of the drive with me. She spent a number of years living in KC when she was growing up, and it was so much fun to get to see things from her childhood-- like her house. And I loved stalking all the incredible houses near The Plaza! I really would love to get back there someday and to have more time to explore and see things.